Wednesday, April 30, 2008

right and left english

I'm coming to a scene in my novel where the hero teaches the heroine how to shoot pool.

The problem: I know almost nothing about pool. But I do like pool and have always wanted to learn more about it.

The answer: Write a scene about pool. It's the one sure way I'll make sure to get it right.

And so we must research.

I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to this stuff because I actually enjoy research. I have tons of books on my resource shelf with topics ranging from palmistry to castle construction. Why? I want to include these subjects in my novels and I don't want to sound like an idiot. In fact, I'd rather sound like an expert. Even if it is on Viking grooming tools of the 11th century.(Yes! They DID groom themselves, despite popular belief!)

So back to pool. The internet is a magnificent mecca for research. I found a couple detailed websites on pool, a billiards glossary of terms, and even a tutorial on YouTube of how to play. I'm stoked with the amount of information I have and how easy it was to find. It took me about half an hour to find, save and sort through the important bits. I'd say I rock, but I think the internet gets props on this one. Now, I'll be much more confident in writing the scene and my readers will believe my hero is an awesome shot. Who could ask for anything more?

Daily Total: 1018
Grand Total: 13626

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dyann! Keep going on those totals! You are doing great! I used to play a little pool at this bar I used to go to when I lived in the Bronx. It was just for fun. I never could figure out how to get that 'english' thing going no matter how many times somebody tried to teach me. See ya. Maura

Shae said...

Good Job Leslie! Keep it up! (The internet is so cool for research, isn't it?)