Tuesday, April 29, 2008

a long day

I'm proud of myself. I almost came home from a particularly long day at work (where I wasn't even able to think about my novel, let alone write a few lines down) and gave up. Giving up entails vegetating in front of the computer and/or TV and doing nothing, except breathing...and quite shallow breaths at that.

Now don't get me wrong, every once in a while, a day of going comatose can be fun and necessary, however, I had begun to let those days outnumber all others.

But not today.

Today I sat down and set my nifty little timer and told myself 10 minutes. I'll write for 10 minutes and I will call it quits. Because something is better than nothing. Well, I kinda know how I work and if I sit down and do my 10 minutes, those 10 minutes turn into another 10 minutes, and another...until as I mentioned in previous posts, I realize I've been writing for about an hour or more. And that happened today....

I spat out a respectable 903 words today for a grand total of 12608. I love seeing the numbers pile up.

I also decided that my goal is 120,000 words. I'm writing a stand-alone romance and one where I'd like to have some well-developed characters, intricate plot and subplot lines and a set up for two other novels in a trilogy if the mood strikes me. So I gotta have the words to make all this happen and happen well.

I'm confident.

I'll talk a little about my current project in my next post. For now, I need my beauty sleep.

No comments: