Sunday, April 6, 2008

all about me

It's time.

Yes, it's time to do this.

Blog.

As an aspiring writer blogging is inevitable and some may say, a necessary evil. Maybe that's too harsh, but for me, I think it's now a must.

I write romance and hope to have my first novel completed by August. That means I need to put myself out there; shmooze, if you will, via the internet highway. Every writer I know seems to have a blog and for good reason. They have books they need to publicize. Heck, they need to publicize themselves.

Which is why I'm here embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. The pursuit of a dream. To become a writer.

At 30, I've decided I can't hold out any longer. I pushed this whole writing business into the back of my mind, where it sat, sometimes impatiently, until one day last year it reared up and forced me to look at my life. And then I got depressed.

Don't get me wrong, I've done some....stuff, been some places, made some friends. But I wasn't aiming towards anything in particular. I have no career, just a series of unrelated and unsatisfying jobs. I have no home, just a place that I stay because I haven't the means to go anywhere else. And I have no purpose, other than to keep hope alive that one day I will. Pretty sad, huh? Yeah, I thought so.

So, I did some serious soul-searching and this time listened to this writing thing. I realized I had enjoyed and excelled at writing since I was able to read. And read I did for the majority of the time I spent alone as a child. I could lose myself in books, escaping from reality, or sometimes, improving upon it. I even wrote a romance in 7th grade. I still have it, though I pity the person who comes upon it when I'm dead and gone. It really is bad. But hey, it's complete. From then on, I've written poems, essays, synopsi, character charts and outlines of stories that burst forth from my brain and dare I say, heart. But these have never gone the way of my first attempt - actual completion.

I'm getting closer though. And determination and motivation is slowly chipping away at all the crap - insecurities, procrastination, etc. - that prevents me from being more productive than naught. So, I'm optimistic. I think romance writers kinda have to be, since our livelihood depends on a happy ending.

Thus, my adventure begins and this blog is here to see it come to fruition. It could also help with the next mega obstacle called publication.....the after effects of promotion.

It's time.

Welcome to the adventure....I mean, my Blog.

No comments: