Monday, June 30, 2008

the gothic novel part tres

Continuing with my quest to find deliciously decadent gothic novels, I came across an author who began writing contemporary romances in the early 80s and transitioned into gothic romances in the late 80s and 90s.

Beverly C. Warren wrote around the same time as Anne Knoll - my last gothic author reviewed. Both of them shared success in a rather obscure genre. Of Beverly's eight gothics, I've read one and own three. My review will be on Lost Ladies of the Windswept Moor, the cover of which is not to your left considering I couldn't find an image.

LLWM is a novel about a very young restorer of old paintings, Janet Clarke. Desperate for employment after the death of her famous painting restorer father, she secures a position at Cheviot Chase (insert Funny Farm reference here), home of Lord John Rathbone. Of course Janet neglected to inform Lord Rathbone of the fact that she was a woman until she arrives, a popular plot device I've seen in gothics before. I guess you had to do what you had to do as a woman back then.

Cheviot Chase (insert Caddy Shack reference here) is dark and dreary with depressed and bitter servants. But wait there's more!... Rathbone's first wife committed suicide and the second, a raving madwoman, went missing after burning down the East Si-eede of the manor. Then we have the usual mouchers living off Rathbone; a gout-ridden peer and his greed-driven ditz of a daughter, who, what do ya know, has her sights set on Rathbone, and a charming, yet devious gentleman with a fancy for Janet.

The drama and action are ripe, while the sex scale reads about a 7, with passionate kisses and long, drawn out tension that makes yours truly scream with frustration. But I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. Janet is smart, strong, and has a knack for disobeying Lord Rathbone's rules - qualities I find endearing at this time in history. The mystery thread had me stumped, always a good thing. I hate guessing the culprit too early on. The plot had a nice flow, with enough twists to keep it exciting.

My only qualms would be the extent of Janet's intelligence at a meager 19 years of age. She could rival women in their 3os today! Also, the dialogue and romantic scenes tended toward cheesy, for lack of a better word, but sometimes the build-up for those scenes overpowers those moments of mush.

As far as Beverly's other novels. I could only find one site - http://www.thepaperbackstash.com/search?q=beverly+c+warren -
that reviewed more than one of her novels in depth. Feel free to check them out at your leisure.
According to the review, LLWM is tame compared to those two. More death, debauchery and darkness, complete with rape and other cruelties fills the remainder. As long as they end happily, I'm game.

I'm eager to read Beverly's seven other novels based on LLWM. She knows what lies at the heart of gothic romance and exploits it with expertise.

The next gothic review will focus on Karen White's, Whispers of Goodbye. Until then...keep those roots dyed black ;-)

grand total: 48021

Quote of the Day: Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

1 comment:

Shae said...

I haven't finished Mistress of Mellyn yet (I got sidetracked on a new series by Lisa Lutz about the Spellman Family, sort of like Evanovich's Plum series)
but now you've got me wanting to read more. How will I ever have time to write?