Sunday, June 15, 2008

crime scene break

I promise to resume the gothic reviews soon, but I felt the need to interject a post regarding my novel and some helpful tips.

I recall mentioning my lack of knowledge when it comes to police procedure and crime scene investigation in a previous post. This topic is important in my current wip as well as the next two in the series, especially the last novel, which features the Detective from this story as the hero! I bought Lee Lofland's book from Writer's Digest, Police Procedure and Investigation, and it has helped immensely, but as usual, I'm a stickler for detail and I have questions that are incredibly specific.

I peruse the Romantic Times website message boards (www.romantictimes.com) and thought I'd ask if any of the writers new of anything that might help me with specific law enforcement questions. A lovely lady gave me a nice list of websites and message boards to check out.

Here is the list:

This is the yahoo group everyone always recommends: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/crimescenewriter/

Also the ask a cop forum
http://forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Lots of good crime/mystery links here: http://inreferencetomurder.com/index.html

Various other crime related links
http://omi.unm.edu/ExternalOrgs.htm
http://www.firearmsid.com/
http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.htm

All of you who are writers that need this kind of technical help, I suggest you use these links.

I joined the Yahoo group CrimeSceneWriter and I must say I was impressed. I asked a question there are had great responses from a retired crime scene analyst and another writer. Also Lee Lofland posts there frequently. I bookmarked and recommend his blog, The Graveyard Shift (www.leelofland.com/wordpress/). He's entertaining and knowledgeable.

I ventured into the Ask a Cop site and read some posts. They weren't very kind to the writer who asked a question about murder investigation procedure, but maybe that's just one dude. They have a ton of people asking everything from how to deal with a restraining order to the three strikes law. Fascinating stuff.

Seriously, these sites are a perfect for the nerd like me, who needs real answers , fast.

It did throw me off a little in my writing because I need to rewrite a scene that wouldn't happen. But I'm going to move forward and take note of it so I don't ruin any momentum.

Anyway, enjoy the sites. Hope they help.

grand total: 41178

Quote of the Day: The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say. ~Mark Twain

3 comments:

Lee Lofland said...

AND, you can always send me your specific questions via email at lee@leelofland.com. I'd be happy to answer them or refer you to another expert. I know plenty of police, forensics, medical, and CSI professionals who are willing to help writers.

By the way, thanks for mentioning my blog and book.

Lee Lofland

Maura said...

Thanks for the great list of links, Dyann. One of my unfinished manuscripts is more of a mystery romance, complete with an FBI agent hero. I am planning to go back to it at some point so I'm sure I will find these links very helpful.

And just so you know, I went to the library today and checked out Rebecca and The Mistress of Mellyn along with several other books (see my blog for titles). I'll let you know what I think when I finish them.

Shae said...

Dyann, you ROCK!

I don't have any police procedurals in the works but it's awesome to see what your resources have found!

It's funny, I checked out The Mistress of Mellyn too! (I just finished Victoria Holt's The Black Opal)