Sunday, February 8, 2009

the start of a beautiful friendship....

..between me and my tattoo...Though I was a wreck for most of the day leading up to it, barely eating any of my breakfast at Dennys and fighting the urge to run over to 7-11 for some liquid courage, I made it through, and with flying colors..well, red and black colors.

It was definitely the anticipation of what was to come that made me so nervous. Because when it came down to it, it really wasn't that bad. I was there with my boyfriend, my co-worker Angie, and her sis-in-law, Debbie. Debbie went first, getting a heart with her husband of 20 years' name on her arm. She made it look like it was nothing. She almost fell asleep in the chair!

When my turn came, Anji, the tattoo artist, said I'd be fine. She was super nice and told me all about how she got started, including how she met her husband, Ryan, who was the guy doing tattoos in the booth next door. I always want to know how people meet. Anyway, she tested a small line and I was like, "That's it?!" She continued.. and yes, there were parts that hurt more than others, but it wasn't unbearable. As Shae mentioned, it's better than being in the dentist's chair. I kept talking while Anji was working and before I knew it, I was done. The entire process took about 45 mintues.

For those that can't see it too well, it's a black tribal-esque quill with a rose entwined around it. The ink drops that are coming from the tip are red, symbolizing blood..my blood. How every word that comes from my pen is a part of me, like my blood, like my soul.

I can see how people would get addicted to this stuff. I'm already planning what I'm going to get next and when. Luckily, the price keeps me grounded in reality. All in all, it was a great experience. And now it can be slashed from the list. Another resolution resolved!

Quote of the Day: It seems to me that those songs that have been any good, I have nothing much to do with the writing of them. The words have just crawled down my sleeve and come out on the page. ~Joan Baez

3 comments:

Shae said...

It's beautiful! Your artist deserves the title, she did a great job. It looks lovely on you, you need to wear stuff that shows it off!

Maura said...

It looks great! And I'm glad it was a good experience for you. Now I'm tempted to go get one...a temporary one, maybe. I'm too chicken to commit to one for life.

Shae's right - be sure you show it off!! You deserve to have fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, the tattoo is gorgeous! I wish I had the nerve to do that!