Wednesday, February 4, 2009

got ink?

Saturday I will be able to cross another item off my New Years Resolutions list.

"Get a tattoo."

As I mentioned before, the tat was something I wanted for my 30th birthday. I never got around to it. So when my coworker made an appointment for me (after I went on and on about wanting one) I said, why the hell not? If that's the kick in the pants I needed, than so be it. I found an absolutely awesome design that's not only nice to look at, but really means something to me. You don't think I'd just get something off the cuff. I've been thinking about the design for a while, but when I saw it about a week ago, I knew it was the one.

And so the nervousness begins. I hate pain. See the post concerning my horrid dental experience for proof. I've heard many different things about the pain of getting a tattoo, from it feels like your skin is being ripped off to the irritation of a scratchy sun burn. It all depends on your personal tolerance of pain and where on your body you're getting it. Mine will be on my right calf, down near the ankle, but still in the fleshy part. The more flesh the better, or so I'm told. I'm hoping I'll be able to take it and not look like a wuss. The artist said it would take about an hour. As long as I don't kick anyone I'll be fine. I'll also have my boyfriend, my coworker Angie, and her sister in law (who's also getting her first tattoo) there for support.

Aside from the nervousness, I'm excited! This is a big milestone and I can't wait to show all of you my new tattoo once it's all healed and beautiful.

Pictures to come.... Wish me luck and bravery!

Quote of the Day: Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

3 comments:

Shae said...

Good for you! But I'm not going to lie, it does hurt. Mine is very tiny (about 1 inch) and not very elaborate but it hurt like the dickens, Not so much when they first start and do the outline, but when they do the color and shading. When they go over the skin again and again it's not fun. Mine only took about fifteen minutes because it's so small and I didn't cry although I did tear up. But it's no where near as bad as a dental visit, and as long as you have support (and a little drink beforehand wouldn't hurt either) then you'll be fine. I can't wait to see!!!!

Maura said...

Good luck!

I can't wait to see what it is! Post those pictures as soon as you can.

Maura said...

So how did it go?