Monday, February 2, 2009

leaving las vegas......not

Being a grown up really does suck.

Most of you know I planned on moving back East this spring. That's just not going to happen. I was telling my best friend, Ariana, that five years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I would have jumped in my car, made a few phone calls and been across the country in a week setting my life up. But now, I have things to think about.

Where would I work during these tough economic times? Where would I live? Would my car make it? Are there attractive men in New England? ;-)

I have a good job that's fairly secure with health benefits and a 401K. I've finally managed to stay at this place long enough to get vacation time and a skill set. I'm confident in my abilities and I like my boss. That's tough to drop when so much is uncertain. But as I say this, I can't put my heart in it because really, if I had the money, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I love starting over. I love adventure and exploring places unknown. Most of all I love my best friend and I miss her terribly.

Anyway, I'm planning to try again in a year, hoping the economy will be in a better position. And if I can get a book sold in the meantime, I will definitely be in the right mind set to take flight. That said, I need to get out the boyfriend's place. His ex and daughter are still here and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere soon. I'm looking at apartments closer to my work and will use my tax return to put something down for March. That will be another big change, but I'm ready. It won't be fun making the official break from the boyfriend, but again, I can't keep putting off the inevitable. I need to move forward and it will be better for both of us in the long run.

Stay tuned for a surprise for tomorrow's blog.....

Quote of the Day: Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

2 comments:

Shae said...

okay, I'm waiting on pins and needles, where's the surprise?!?!

Maura said...

I had a feeling the ex wasn't going anywhere. If she couldn't get it together to get away from her mother and take care of herself, why would it be any different in Vegas? But I'll shut up about that now, it's really none of my business.

Mature decisions suck sometimes but I think you are making the right choice. There's no point in adding another level of stress to your life right now. And I think when you get your own place in Vegas you won't feel as anxious to go east. Your current living situation has got to be making you antsy.

So hang in there and a year will pass by before you know it (don't they always?). Soon you will be packing your bags and headed for that scenic east coast!