Saturday, October 4, 2008

moving blues

My boyfriend bought a home in Northern Las Vegas and we just moved in last weekend. Personally, I don't own tons of stuff - mostly books and lots of them (much to the chagrin of my boyfriend, his brother, and friends who had to carry bin after bin of them). But, be damned if we filled a whole 24 foot truck and still had to make a couple trips in our cars to get the remaining junk.

It's been a trying week to say the least. We have two cats and the trip in the car was hellacious. Then when we arrived, everyone and their mothers, AND their mass of screaming kids came over. The house was in shambles and my kitten was traumatized. I may have been a little traumatized, too. The rest of the week we spent unpacking. I had end of month woes at work and was dead tired, so unpacking was not exactly what I wanted to do when I came home. And since we hadn't gone shopping yet, we had nothing to eat in the house. If I have to eat another taco from Taco Bell, I may expire.

Oh and did I forget to mention my parents are in town and want to come over. No pressure or anything! They are coming by tomorrow, so today was spent cleaning and continuing to unpack. At least the fridge is finally full and there's beer. That makes me happy.

We had some artists come by before we moved in and draw these lovely pictures on the window. This one probably looks just like a grimey window but I tried to get up closer.

Look real close. It's hard to tell. Follow the black outline.

Yep. It's a big humongous dick. And it's really not drawn very well or to any flattering scale.

How ironic, that whoever drew this was trying to deter people from buying this house (if it was the original owners because it was happened to be a forclosed property). If it was done by random vandals, they must have hoped they would offend someone.

Offend me? A romance novelist. One who tends towards the more erotic in her love scenes. Nice try! I believe I convinced my boyfriend to keep it around longer than I should have. But I found it comical and oddly comforting. :-) When we finally went to clean it off, it was disappointing to know that it was done in dry erase marker. Pitiful!

Anyway, I have to get back to making this place look presentable. And of course, in a week and a half we get our new roommates. Sigh.

Where's that beer??!

Quote of the Day: If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. ~Isaac Asimov

3 comments:

Shae said...

Oh, Hunny Bunny, I feel for you. I'd offer to bring over a pitcher of mojtos today but it sounds like you have enough company already. Let me know when you have some alone time and I'll drop a pitcher off (I'll even ring the doorbell and run so you can be wearing ucky clothes and not care)
I felt bad for my movers when they had to take all my books to storage (not counting the four boxes I brought home) and I can't tell you how many I gave away!!! It makes moving easy (but heavy) when all you move are clothes and books...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think I would have left the artwork up just a little longer. Imagine what a conversation starter that would have been when your parents arrived for a visit, LOL.

I used to live in California and I always loved the stark peace of the desert.

I hope the kitties have calmed down. Moving is traumatic!

Maura said...

LOL...I thought you were serious about artists and I enlarged the picture before I read the rest of the blog and was following the outline waiting for some fabulous artistic revelation and I was like "OK, I'm following the outline....Wait a minute...is that what I think?...Yes! That's a penis!!!!" Then I just cracked up. Too funny. I'm glad you were able to keep your sense of humor about it and I'm extra glad that it was easily erased. I just hope there will be no repeat performances.

I hope your visit with your parents went well and that there is an end in sight to the unpacking. I don't know if I should tell you this or not, but what the hell: I still have several boxes that I haven't even opened yet since we moved to this house. And that was seven years ago! Have I ever mentioned that I am a pack rat practically incapable of throwing anything out? I'll probably wind up as one of those crazy ladies who lives in a house so crammed with stuff that it will be like a maze. And of course I will have a dozen cats!

Anyway, congrats on the move to the new house. Although it can be quite an upheaval for a while, it's nice to be in your own space. Hope the kitties are feeling better, too. Good luck with the new roomies. My venting offer still stands!!