Sunday, October 12, 2008

disappointment reigns at the p.o.

It is my firm belief that the Post Office is where the dregs of society gather to discuss their plan to annoy the world....and all while talking on their bluetooth headsets.

I had to make a trip to the Post Office the other day to pick up the new mailbox keys and I remembered why I do all I can to avoid the place entirely. And it's not because of the people that work at the Post Office, though I've heard those horror stories, it's the people that I am fortunate enough to wait in line with while there:

The chatty housewife - who has to tell me and everyone else everything that is going on with their five children (who happen to be running around the place causing mayhem), their best friend's cheating husband, and their mother who is recuperating from a broken hip. And no, she's not talking directly to me or anyone in the room; she's talking to whoever on her bluetooth headset, looking like an absolute lunatic, because she's just sooo busy that this conversation couldn't wait the five minutes she has to stand in line. Oh, and did I mention, that she couldn't possibly stop her conversation even while the mail clerk was helping her mail a letter. Is it me, or is there nothing more rude than talking to someone on the cell phone and ignoring the person right in front of you, there to do a service for you? Are people that inconsiderate and self-absorbed that they can't stop for two minutes and give ONE person their undivided attention?

The go go go business man - who grumbles and sighs over every person that takes more than ten seconds to be helped or asks a question of the mail clerk, pushing his wait time out a whole extra five seconds. Oh and he's on his bluetooth, too, yelling expletives to the other person on the line, who hasn't sold his stock in time, or isn't giving him the price he wants on one-of-a-kind glass blown figurine. He's mega important and he wants everyone else to know.

The elderly woman - who complains about the price of a stamp, or a mailing box, telling everyone how much it was when she was our age and how the quality of services and items has diminished to a mere nothing. She usually takes about a half an hour to get a letter to her grandson mailed, while the grandson probably won't even read the letter, shaking the envelope out to see if she sent any money. Oh and she's not on a bluetooth, only because she refuses to try any of the new fangled technology available to make peoples' lives easier. She's important and she wants everyone else to know, but at least she tells you directly to your face.

The oblivious twenty-something guy - who's wearing his "Fuck You You Fucking Fuck" t-shirt in a public place, that's not a biker bar or Mardi Gra. He's wearing his bluetooth headset, but no one's calling him, but soon. He's passing the time in line listening to EVERY ring tone on his cell phone at full volume, including rap songs with explicit lyrics almost as bad, but more descriptive than the ones on his t-shirt. He's got a tatoo on his neck that says "Mom" and I wonder how proud she really is of him and his uncaring attitude.

Anyway, these are the dregs...I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting, but none of these are made up, though I wish they were.

I'm hoping I'm not alone in the thinking that some people need a class in self-awareness or an attitude adjustment. I think we all should be required to take at least a refresher course once a year. Cell phone and bluetooth headsets prohibited.

Quote of the Day: I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork. ~Peter De Vries

3 comments:

Shae said...

Brava!!!! I completely agree. I'm so tired of self-important, oblivious-to-others individuals. They are everywhere, at the store, while you are driving.

I was rushing to get home the other day because my mom had to go to work and I needed to be there for The Graminator. I only had 5 minutes and as I was checking out a guy asked me if he could go in front of me. I politely said no, that I was in a terrible hurry and he called me a bitch. Look, on a normal day I would have said yes, but please, maybe he was in a hurry too but he didn't even consider anything but himself in the equation. But I was the bitch.

This was a great post Dyann, not just because of the topic but your descriptions and imagery were so perfect, I was waiting in line with you. Great job!

Maura said...

Right on, sister!!! That same set of people must travel the country because I have encountered them in my neck of the woods at P.O.s, supermarkets, airports, and restaurants. I generally cut some slack for the elderly (unless they are using it to screw you over), but the rest of them I want to take and shake until their teeth fall out of their heads!

I was once at a fair and there was this schmuck of a guy wearing a tee shirt that had a picture of a hand flipping the bird. I mean, for Pete's sake, we were at a fair!! A place loaded with little kids! Why would someone feel the need to be so deliberately rude and offensive to complete strangers? Has the world been that unkind to him?

Whatever...I could go on for hours about offensive behavior I have encountered over the years but that will just piss me off for the rest of the day. I'm with you on the attitude course, and we should add in driving manners while we're at it.

RazorsEdge2112 said...

I hate those damned Bluetooth headsets. At least with just a cell phone, it is obvious when a person is talking to someone. I swear, some of those who use the things seem schizophrenic as if just talking to no one, staring into space.

The things are too close to the "Seashell radios" of Fahrenheit 451 for me to be comfortable with them. Just too spooky.

Great post!!!