Monday, August 18, 2008

home coming

I spent this last weekend in California; attending a 50th birthday party for one of my cousins. Since it was held at my parents' place and my birthday is - ack - in a day, they did a lot of celebrating for all involved.

Now this is my Dad's side of the family - definitely the more crazy of the two sides. Which is why I like them so much. Even though they all claim I'm not related to them because I'm tall and thin - while they are short and stocky - they still have the ability to remind me why family rocks.

1) They can drink like fishes, or at least they used to. Being of Scottish decent, we have no choice but to drink. But unfortunately, they ended up letting the drinking get the better of them and now more than half are in AA. Sigh.

2) They are natural comedians. This is where I get the bulk of my sense of humor. I've never met such a group of wise guys and smart asses in my life. And I've hung out backstage at comedy clubs!

3) They are mostly liberal and opinionated. I'm used to hearing the conservative side from the curmudgeons at work that blast Fox news and talk about their church functions. It's refreshing to hear educated people talk smack about the right-wingers.

4) They like to eat. A lot.

5) Half are homosexual. I can live any of my burgeoning alternative lifestyles vicariously through them if need be.

6) They're huggers. There is just something to be said about people who gotta hug. It's warm. It's cuddly. It's nice.

I had a great time seeing them all and I hope we can get together again soon. I even got an idea for a story out of it, but I'll save that for next time.

grand total: 55080

Quote of the Day: The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~Mark Twain

3 comments:

Maura said...

Happy Birthday!!!! And many, many, more! :)

Your family sounds like a lot of fun. I'm of Irish descent so I can relate to just about all of the traits you mentioned (we love our drink and our food and, man oh man, do we have opinions!)

And I love that the folks you love so much have inspired a story for you. I bet you will have the best time writing it. Maybe you can work in more visits as part of your research! :)

Megan Bernstein said...

Hey, sounds like you may have a crazier family then me. It's funny though isn't it, no matter how crazy or wierd or messed up they may be you still love em and would do anything for em. *MeGaN*

Shae said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Yay for you. I owe you a big batch of pina colada cupcakes when I see you next (do you think it is okay to wash them down with real pina coladas?)

Your family sounds great. I love when my family gets together. Of course, my family is really small but it's still fun. I think they are coming out for my moms 60th birthday (which is three weeks from Thursday). My brothers BD is three days before that and mine is two weeks after his so I'm sure we'll celebrate them all!