Tuesday, August 5, 2008

an evening with suzanne enoch and teresa medeiros

Yestereve, I had the pleasure of listening to two remarkable and amazingly down to earth writers share some advice and insight about the maddening world of authorship. The small, intimate event took place at the Clark County Library…a rather huge place closer to the East side of Vegas, an area I rarely venture out to. Just so you all know, locals hardly ever cross the Strip…except when you have out of town guests. Suzanne and Teresa have written loads of books, including historical, contemporary, paranormal and one western thrown in. I’d actually never read anything by either of them until fellow writer and blogger, Shae, invited me to the event a few weeks prior. I immediately picked up Suzanne Enoch’s After the Kiss and took it on vacation with me. So far it’s great. It’s a historical done in the Regency period and very well written; tons of detail and fun dialogue. I’m almost finished with it as we speak. I wanted to get Teresa Medeiros' most current novel, Some Like It Wicked, but it wasn’t coming out until July 29, so I just waited to purchase it at the event. I can’t wait to get started on that one, too.

These ladies were extremely polite and funny to boot. They began with their reasons for becoming writers and staying writers, then progressed into chit chat about their traveling adventures, most notably their time in Las Vegas. The floor was then opened for questions from the fans. They were gracious enough to answer everything we could think of, from their research and writing habits, to the specifics of certain books. It was an interesting, informational and enjoyable night. We were all invited to chat one on one with each author and get our books signed. I’m proud to say my books are now signed and that much more special!

It gives me support in my own writing to hear these women talk openly about their writing experiences, especially when they jokingly offered their rough drafts for perusal to make us feel better about ours. That makes me feel good. It gives me hope, that even seasoned writers rough drafts are, as Nora Roberts so eloquently put it, basically vomit on paper. I want to thank Suzanne Enoch and Theresa Medeiros for sharing their time with us and Clark County Library for putting them on their schedule.

And a special thanks to Shae for the invite!

grand total: 50653

Quote of the Day:
Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space. ~Orson Scott Card

3 comments:

Maura said...

Sounds like this was a great evening. I need to find local events like this one. I would love to get a little face time with someone who has made it all the way to a bookstore shelf. I'll have to start doing some internet searches. So far, I am not very impressed with my local RWA chapter. Their website has been "under construction" for at least six months, they canceled their June meeting last minute, and apparently they are not having another one until September. I really wanted to start going to meetings so I could meet people and network and find out about events like this one. And I was really hoping to meet some local folks who might be interested in starting up a writing/critique group.

Anyway, glad you were able to get so much out of the evening. Every source of inspiration is a great one and can only help you achieve your own goal. And I have added these titles to my ever growing list of books to read. Thanks for the heads up about them!

Shae said...

I"m so glad we went to hear them, I gleaned a lot of great info from them. Thanks for going with me, I had so much fun (although the chocolates melted in my purse, uck!)

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how interesting that discussion must have been! I've been a fan of Teresa Medeiros for many years.