Sunday, January 18, 2009

regency kick

Upon finishing After The Kiss by Suzanne Enoch, my mind began racing with an idea I've had before, concerning a series that would most likely fall into the category of historical romance set in the Regency Era. I know these books wouldn't be Regencies, because honestly, I like my love scenes...

And I like em' intense!

Regencies tend to leave out those more detailed scenes and end with an embrace or kiss.
So...like I normally do when bludgeoned by an idea, I start reading everything in my power revolving around it.

After the Kiss was very well-written and a great story, but something about it just didn't excite me like I know some novels can. The plot was realistic and not over the top like some historicals can be, it had plenty of love scenes, developed characters.. I really can't put my finger on any one thing that made reading it anything but enjoyable. It just lacked...something.

But, it did remind me of the idea I mentioned above and made me dig in my notebooks to find it and jot down more notes.

In my TBR pile, I had a Georgette Heyer novel, and though I was supposed to start New Moon as soon as I finished After the Kiss (sorry Ariana), I couldn't help picking up A Lady of Quality and dive in. Three days later, I am reminded how amazing Georgette Heyer is as a writer and storyteller.

Her dialogue is masterful, especially with all the slang, terms and grammar of the Regency period. Her wit is unparallel, her characters fierce and her plots traditional, yet timeless. The only complaint I had was the tendency to head-hop, making the writing lose pace. Other than that, I remember why it can be important to research if you plan to write a novel. It makes it sooo much better!

And there was only kissing and embracing. I didn't really miss it, since I knew what I was getting into, but personally I wouldn't be able to write a novel without more....

Now, I'm almost done with Valerie King's A Country Flirtation, which I wasn't quite sure I would like because it started out pretty cheesy. Now, I'm really enjoying it and will probably finish it tonight.

I posted a couple requests for recommendations on the romance message boards and checked out the authors given. I was a little disappointed with the plots of a lot of them. I'm not a fan of the woman seducing the man, or of the rake who seduces a woman for her fortune then falls in love. Overdone! I'm looking for something original, but then, that's why I'm writing my own series, right? Still, I was able to find a couple that looked good, from author's like Elizabeth Boyle, Liz Carlyle, and Barbara Metzger.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions. Shae, you are the queen of Regency and historical romance, help me out here!

Otherwise, I finished notes for "Plot & Structure" by Bell and will provide them for anyone who would like them. Now onto the next...

Quote of the Day: Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable. ~Francis Bacon

2 comments:

Shae said...

Okay, here are my recommends.

Early Amanda Quick, especially "Scandal". This one was the one that got me hooked on Regency. Even some steamy scenes (though not graphic, they are way more than hand-holding). The more recent stuff is not as good as her early work if you ask me.

Anything in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. I love her writing and use of humor. Her books are well plotted and paced.

Jacquie D'Allessandro is another one I like. And the series by Lauren Willig is interesting and fresh, with parts both historical and modern in each novel.

I'm going to check out your recommends too. I love finding new authors!

Maura said...

I haven't read too many regencies so I'm afraid I can't be much help here. It is a genre I want to explore more as it seems to be a very popular one. And now I have all these authors you have both recommended. Thanks!

And I would love to see your plotting and structure notes.