Sunday, January 4, 2009

dreaming big....

It's 2009 and when I set out to do something, I do it up right. I dream big. Sure, I don't always complete every one of my goals / resolutions, but the dream is still there.

I posted my resolutions on a website called 43 Things. (Yes, another social networking site to add to my never-ending list.) I added them down below on the right side, but I'll elaborate on them here.

1) Publish at least 3 novels this year.
-Technically, I'm behind from the original goal plan I set out for this, but I'm not disappointed with what I have accomplished so far. I revised the plan which I'll post next for your review. I'm still moving forward and that's what matters most to me right now. This resolution ties in with my ultimate goal of writing fiction for a living.

2) Go to the doctor.
- I'm ashamed to say I haven't been to see a doctor in a while. Before, the excuse was that I didn't have insurance. Now, (for the last two years) I've had insurance, and the excuse is that I'm just a big, lazy chicken. It needs to be done and I should be exploiting my insurance while I still can. No more excuses. I'm making an appointment this week.

3) Go to the dentist.
- I can't even say the word "dentist" without a grimace. I haven't been to the.....dentist, for years. Again, with the lack of insurance, but also because my teeth are just genetically hella bad. And not visually bad (like I'm missing five, and three are black). I have always had problems with waning enamel and exposed nerves. Combined with receding gums, every visit to the dentist, no matter how gentle they are, results in excruciating pain. Luckily, I rarely had cavities when I was younger. I did have braces, but that's a whole other painful animal. Also, I know that it will cost me tons, even with my insurance, because there's a lot to be done in there AND I NEED to be sedated the entire time, which means more mula. I guess I have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and get crackin'. This week an appointment will be made.

4) Learn one language a year.
-This goal was made hoping to hit two birds, or three, with one stone.
One, it will broaden my horizons.
Two, it will help me indirectly with English (considering the comparisons you automatically make regarding grammar and vocabulary.)
Three, it's research for my novels -heh, heh ;-)

The language I'm choosing for this year is Welsh. Mostly because I already have the book and the CDs and have dabbled in it. My next trilogy I am writing is a time-travel spanning from 1000 AD to today set in Wales. So it would help me greatly, even if I'm not fluent by the end of the year. Knowing the basics - hearty vocab, a couple neat sayings, and a few fun curse words - would be nice.

5) Get rid of things I don't need.
- My friend and fellow blogger, Maura, turned me on to this. "31 in 31" or getting rid of one item per day for the 31 days on January, and heck, maybe longer if need be. So far, I have gotten rid of 3 pairs of panties, 2 pairs of jeans, one pair of shoes, and 4 books. I'm definitely ahead of the game. Woohoo! This will help me declutter and prepare myself for moving in the Spring.

6) Follow an exercise program.
-I bought yet another exercise program. Yeah, motivation for me to get in shape comes in spending gratuitous amounts of money. But this one is simple and hip and includes some extra tips for keeping the feminine look as you slim and tone, rather than bulking up and losing all that luscious female form. It's a fitness and bikini model's routine and program. I like it and it inspires me. I WILL succeed! Will be posting my hideous "before" photo soon......maybe...if I have the courage to show myself in skimpy clothing....ugh.

One day I'll look like Jennifer Nicole Lee....but much paler. ;-)

7) Eat better.
-Continuing with the health resolutions, I plan to ditch the junk food, but indulge in cravings every so often. Eat smaller portions every 2-3 hours and only have soda once a week. Those portions will include protein, fiber, and something green.

8) Drink more water.

9) Drink more wine.
-OK, not to get drunk. Red wine is good with its antioxidants AND it's a passion I've let fall by the wayside. Did you know I went to culinary school for six months and excelled in the wine tasting classes as well as food pairing? They say I have a good palette. For a while I thought about becoming a sommelier and passed the first stage of testing to become just that. I then realized that a sommelier is just a glorified cocktail waitress. (I'm cringing, knowing I'm ruining my chances getting friendly with any of them. Oh well..) I love wine and I the history and science involved with wine. I plan to buy one bottle a week and write down tasting notes in my wine journal. Who knows? Maybe some freelance writing work will come of it.

10) Take care of my skin.
- The other day I looked in the mirror and grimaced. No, not at my pale, frumpy body, but at my face! My eyes seemed sunken, small, and puffy, and my skin was oily, caking my make-up and emphasizing my huge pores! I never had to worry much about my skin, even with my birthmark (I'll go into this later). I mean, I had to stay out of the sun due to my genetically pale and prone to cancer skin. And regardless of the numerous scars from doctors attempts to keep me cancer-free, my skin stayed soft and clear. I guess 31 hit me finally and instead of washing with regular soap and never moisturizing, I need to bring on the maintenance. I bought Carmindy's book, Get Positively Beautiful and I love it. Carmindy is the make-over queen from What Not To Wear, and I really dig her simple beauty regimine. So I'm following some of her techniques, which also tie into my next resolution.
11) Learn to use make-up to my advantage.
- Until this year, make-up and I have had a practical relationship. I hate it, but its a necessity to cover my birthmark. I have a port winestain (meaning strawberry colored) birthmark that covers my chin and a portion of my left cheek. I've managed to get through a difficult childhood and deal with it, even after failed laser surgery attempts and...a lot of make-up. I have to wear foundation and powder every day. I won't go outside without it. But it's routine now. I never used anything else - except a little lipstick to give my pale face a little color. So this aging thing sucks in more ways than one. And I've been experimenting with make-up to help enhance my beauty rather than cover it up. Carmindy's less is more style and tips are great, especially the ones that let me get out the door after five minutes of application and still look like a million bucks.

12) Save up for laser hair removal.
-Another perk of growing old...MORE HAIR! They've come a long way with these lasers and I want to get it done. It costs a pretty penny, so I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the year.

I'm going to end here for now. I have about 8 more to go, but this is already becoming a book. Speaking of....I think I'll go read.

Quote of the Day: It seems to me that the problem with diaries, and the reason that most of them are so boring, is that every day we vacillate between examining our hangnails and speculating on cosmic order. ~Ann Beattie, Picturing Will, 1989

2 comments:

Shae said...

I am so with you on the doctor thing. I hate it. But do it, you'll feel better. As far as the dentist goes, I too have genetically bad teeth so I had to 'bite the bullet" (but not too hard or I'd crack a tooth) and have learned that if you are truly afraid, as I am, that the lovely dentist will give you lovely zanax before your appointment. Now they come in and say "Shae, Doctor want to know if you took your medicine" then they turn the lights out and let me relax before Doctor will even come in the room.
If you want the name of my dentist, she's good with chickens. Or you can go to Val's dentist, they gave her a spa treatment and let her watch movies during her appointment, I can get you their name if you want.

Maura said...

These are excellent goals, Dyann, and I know you can do them all. I have great faith in you!

I don't have doctor issues, but I don't particularly care for going to the dentist (who does?). And, as coincidence would have it, I just got back from my dentist a few minutes ago. It was just a cleaning and check up. But it still sucked because I have been neglecting flossing lately so the cleaning was a little more intense. And I have some gum issues so now I have to go see a periodontist. Yippee!! So floss a lot and that will help minimize some dental difficulties. But do go soon, it is a necessary evil. And the doctor, too. It won't take long and you'll be glad when you've done it.

How's writing going? You haven't mentioned that in a while. I've been bad overall but I did start getting back to some journal writing. And I have promised myself that I will spend some time with at least one of my manuscripts this weekend. No more excuses!! :)