Saturday, December 20, 2008

the city of sin has frozen over....

I've finally had a couple days to get over it, but it still is amazing. It snowed in Vegas. And I don't mean some measely little flakes (although that's what it began as). I'm talking blizzard, baby!

Las Vegans don't really take snow too seriously. Because when we hear that it's a possibility we think a few chunks of ice and rain for an hour max and that's it. But no, that's not what we got on Wednesday.

Let me break down my day.

Wednesday morning: Butt cold, but I layered up and wore a nice scarf and gloves.

Wednesday afternoon 1pm: Snow begins to fall. People at work are freaking out. But there really isn't much snow sticking to the ground just yet. I'm not worried.

2pm: The snow continues to fall and starts to get thicker. I hear it's supposed to stop by 4pm when I leave, so I'm still not worried.

3pm: The snow is coming down hard and fast and blanketing the ground. For some reason, I'm still not worried, just amazed. I take this picture outside the employee entrance with my phone.

4pm: The snow has covered most of Sunset Station and it's already dark. I get in my VW bug and realize I have to get gas before I make the 26 mile drive home. Doh!

4:15pm: Upon leaving Sunset Station's garage the streets are covered in snow and slush. I'm driving super slow and head to the gas station across the street. At one point I press the brakes and they lock. Freaking out begins.

4:30pm: I wonder if the snow has made me super sensitive and maybe it was a one time deal and that the brakes are adjusting. I decide to get gas regardless and take it easy.

4:45pm: Find out the gas station's satellite has gone out and it is cash only. After sludging my way to the register it's a Christmas miracle that I have ten dollars on me in this electronic day and age. I snap more pictures for those who don't believe that I am truly trapped in a Thomas Kinkade painting.
4:46pm: Try to leave the parking lot and press the brakes. They lock and I slide. I commence with more freaking out and decide to park at Best Buy and go in to get warm, and possibly buy a DVD. Ya never know.

5pm: Call the boyfriend and act scared and helpless so that he'll come pick me up. It works and I wait, secretly hoping my car might be busted and I won't have to go to work tomorrow.

6pm: Boyfriend arrives and plays around with my car, seeming to have more fun skidding around a snowy parking lot with limited brakes that I would. I don't understand men. He can't figure out what's wrong but says he'll be able to drive it home in the slow lane and I'll follow in his car. I'm worried, but take some pictures to calm me down.
7pm: We arrive home after driving through three sections of greater Las Vegas. Each one has different inclement weather. South-blizzard, West/Downtown-rainstorm, North-snowstorm... My back is in knots, but I'm home and relieved. Our neighborhood looks like we should have horse-drawn sleighs and snowball wars, rather than cars and errant teenagers. I take a couple pics of our front and back yard (which reminds me of some lost land).
That was the bulk of my day. Henderson (where I work) received 8" of snow and the rest received 2". They declared a snow day for schools the following day and I took more pictures in the morning, but here is the Luxor. Who ever thought we'd see the pyramids covered in snow? I know I probably sound like I'm overreacting, especially considering many of my friends live back East and laugh at me for freaking out, but hey, this is Vegas, the last time we got this much snow was in 1974!
I'll post the day after pictures tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm off to recoup. I think the weather made me sick. Ugh.

Quote of the Day: A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right. ~John K. Hutchens, New York Herald Tribune, 10 September 1961

2 comments:

Shae said...

I'm so jealous, I wish I had gotten even a fraction of that snow. Glad your boyfriend came to the rescue. What happened with the car?

dyann hunter said...

Stupid Electronic stabilizing control....Apparently, it's not a good thing to have in the snow and you have to manually turn it off on the dash. It's fine now. German cars...I tell ya.