Sunday, September 14, 2008

layin' down some phat words

For those of you who are my Facebook buddies, this title will resonate, for those of you who aren't, I've been writing like a fiend for the last two weeks, trying to keep up with my goal of 30,000 words by the end of September. This goal is for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and the Unleash Your Story project from my last post. Also, I've been plotting a category romance that I relayed to you all in an earlier post as well (the one with the sexy mechanic). I've been keeping busy to say the least.

So far, I'm keepin' it real with 72243 words (my total words for my main wip), just shy of the mark I should be by this Monday. I'm proud of that and of the fact that I'm rounding the corner to the last stretch of my first draft. I mean, this is where it gets exciting, because I know exactly what is going to happen and what I need to do and write to make it to the end.

I've definitely had some help along the way, thanks to the support of Maura and Shae, and some great workshops and books. Most recently, I'm in the midst of another KOD (Kiss of Death) chapter class on plotting a romantic suspense with Tracy Montoya. It's been great, and Tracy is awesome.

Plus, one of the books on my current reading list is Page After Page by Heather Sellers. Heather is wonderful with motivation and has really helped me whenever I'm just not in the mood to write. She's witty, unique and refreshingly down to earth for an English professor. Some of my favorite chapters are titled: Sleeping With Books; Butt in Chair; Blank and Cranky; and the best one of them all - Dare to Suck. I can't wait to finish this novel and begin Chapter After Chapter, her second book in this series.

And what better way to end this than with some humor. What kind of romance novelists are we if we can't make fun of ourselves and what we write about. PLEASE, check out this link and click on "Who's Sebastian" on the left of the site it takes you to laugh out loud at the Airborne commercial. You won't regret it!

grand total: 72243

Quote of the Day: A prose writer gets tired of writing prose, and wants to be a poet. So he begins every line with a capital letter, and keeps on writing prose. ~Samuel McChord Crothers, "Every Man's Natural Desire to Be Somebody Else," The Dame School of Experience, 1920

3 comments:

Maura said...

Way to go, Dyann!! You are doing an awesome job on that word count!!! And kudos to all your multi-tasking! You are putting me to shame. I feel like a snail on my re-writes.

Your workshops sound great. I need to get involved with stuff like that. I am finally going to my first RWA meeting next Saturday. I am hoping to get involved with workshops and a critique group.

Heather Sellers's books sound great and I am adding them to my booklist. It is so great when you can read some good motivational work. It can really give you a much needed jumpstart.

So keep it up, Dyann. You are going gangbusters and I am so proud of you!!!!

Maura said...

I forgot to mention that I really loved the Sebastion clip. It made me laugh out loud. I will be sharing that with others!

Shae said...

Keep up all the hard work, you are doing awesome. And Sebastion was too funny (and I'm addicted to Airborne anyway). I don't think I'll make it to RWA unless I can convince my brother to gramma sit. She's just too active (and not in the right mental state) to leave alone right now. Take notes for me okay? I miss you sista!